ページ

Jun 9, 2012

Sweet potatoes only live twice.

 As I mentioned in my previous post, sweet potato's sprouts have no root and they extend them into soil as they grow. But can you guess what could happen to them until their roots grow enough?
They have no root at the beginning so they can't suck up water and nutrition to grow but they are so strong that they can survive that harsh environment.

 Here is one of my sweet potato's sprouts. It obviously looks dead. All leaves had gone. I guess novice gardeners might take they are truly dead and throw them away.
 But don't give them up! They are still alive! They have no leave because of no water and nutrition to be sucked up but they were extending their roots in soil. In a photo below, taken a week ago, you can see the sprout have successfully been revived.

Now I've found all of my sprouts are healthy.




2 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Sweet potatoes are very hardy plants. They are now weeds in my garden. Every spring I found many new sweet potato shoots coming out from composted material.

Lori said...

Great blog poost