ページ

May 26, 2012

Planting sweet potato sprouts


 I planted 12 sweet potatoes sprouts today in a space where my onions had grew. There are variety of breeds among sweet potatoes and I picked up 3 types for this time.

1 Naruto-kintoki
2 Beni-azuma
3 Annou

 Planting sweet potato's sprouts is a bit different from other vegetables since they have no root.
Should I call them "vines" because of no root on them?


 Anyway, they've grown to about 25cm (10inches) so I buried their trunks into soil. As the sprouts grow, their roots will also come out of their roots and extend into soil.

 While the roots extending into soil, what I should do to them is only watering them. They don't need any fertilizer since they are more fertile than other vegetables.
  Sweet potatoes are so popular among Japanese that we use them in various ways like cooking cakes, adding into Miso soup and even distilling them into "Imo-Shochu"/ a Japanese distilled liquor made of sweet potato. My wife and daughter are looking forward to baking sweet potato cakes!


No comments: