ページ

May 12, 2012

Kitchen things for aphid control

 Pursuing an perfectly organic gardening is the dream and goal for all gardeners although I believe we recognize that the road to the goal is harder and more difficult for us than we think  especially when we need some quick solutions for urgent problems like pests and bugs.

 Organic solutions are sometimes less effective but expensive and time-consuming while they are environment-friendly. How can we balance between effectiveness and eco-friendliness?

 I believe one of solutions is using LESS harmful chemical things in gardening chores. I'm also afraid of using chemical pesticides in my garden for the health of my family so I adopt much safer chemicals and goods as solutions for bug control. They are kitchen things like a kitchen detergent, cooking oil.

 I found that many aphids on my broad bean's tree and tomato's trees in my garden and I always mixture of water, cooking oil and kitchen detergent. 

 Mixture ratio:

 1. 100(water) : 5(oil) : 1(detergent)

 I think you want to know how the solution kill aphids. Most of insects are holopneustic, which means they have stomas on their belly for breath. The solution contains millions of oil molecules and when the solution vaporizes the molecules block the aphid's stomas and they will be suffocated.



You can see hundreds of aphids on my broad bean trees,,,,,.just spooky.

 We have to spray the solution thoroughly on the aphids. 
 One of the aphids on a leaf were struggling for the air in the solution for a while.
 When the solution had vaporized, many dead aphids were found on the leaves and trees.
Oh,,,sorry for poor bugs!!


Finally, I rinsed the solution with showering. The dead aphids also have gone with water.

 Protection from bugs is also important. We can create more effective protection with learning habits of bugs. Aphids hate the reflected light. So I used aluminum foil to ward off aphids.
 I rolled a sheet of aluminum foil around plastic polls for tomatoes, eggplants and cucumbers. I hope the reflected light can protect my vegetables from aphids and I'll monitor how effective the way is.







2 comments:

~TastyTravels~ said...

Thanks for the aphid control tips. Those little buggers drive me crazy!

takaeko said...

>Holly
Bugs like aphids, young worms, caterpillars are always nuisance for all gardeners. But I believe they might know what is delicious and healthy vegetables.

The more bugs you find, the more delicious and healthier vegetables you grow,right?