ページ

Apr 21, 2012

Thinning out carrot sprouts.

I'm very happy to find many carrot sprouts have grown today since the carrot germination rate is generally lower than other vegetables and I actually failed to grow carrots last year. But I had to do a challenging chore to me, thinning them out.


According to some gardening books, choosing which sprouts we thin out or leave is difficult because middle-size carrots should not be thinned out but biggest and smallest ones have to be thrown out. The biggest sprouts likely have sprit roots in the future and the smallest one might imply their poor growth.


Today 30 sprouts were thinned out.


--from iPad

2 comments:

~TastyTravels~ said...

My luck growing carrots have been hit and miss. Some years seeds emerge and perfect roots form. Last year some seeds with twisted roots. Do you know what causes the twisted roots? Good luck with your carrots!

takaeko said...

>Holly
I think the cause is small stones and pebbles in the soil.
If a point of carrot's root touches pebbles, the root might avoid them by twisting itself.
I always screen out pebbles before sowing carrot's seed.