ページ

Jul 16, 2011

The red and the black

As I mentioned in my previous blog, my black chili can turned green when grilled. Heat might work for changing the color though I don't know well the mechanism. Today I found one of my black chilies has turned red! The heat waves in a hot summer changed the color? I don't think so.

A black chili can turn red when matured. That's a well-known mechanism according to my wife's aunt, my gardening teacher.

I will set aside some of the fruits for seeding in the next season so it's good for me to see ripen "red black chilies" at this stage.

I wonder if the ripen red one is as hot and spicy as normal normal red chilies. Well, I'll try to taste them in the near future,,,.







-- from iPod touch

3 comments:

Mark Willis said...

Those chillis are VERY strange plants! But isnt't it fun to grow something that is new to you, just to discover for yourself what happens, and how it develops?

Martin and Amy said...

Wow! How exciting!

The filius blue we are growing produces bright purple chillies when they are at their hottest point, but turn red then they are slightly more milder.

Very interesting.

Martin

takaeko said...

>Mark
Well, I don't know what chemicals can make the chili red when matured but I read an article saying more anthocyanin is contained in the surface of black chillis than normal ones. Do you think anthocyanin might work for turning red?

>Martin
I didn't know filius blue is edible but thought it was ornamental. How do you cook them?