ページ

Apr 20, 2011

Today's harvest and flowers

 Flowers can attract us and make us feel happy! Yeah, I think so too. But What do flowers of leaf vegetables like pak-chois or komatunas mean? Flowers of them mean they've bolted and can not been eaten, right?
  When I saw flowers on my pak-chois, I seem to have seeded too many pak-chois and komatunas.I shared them with my mother, friends and neighbors but still 1/3 of all seeded vegetables are left in my soil beds. Most of them have not bolted yet but they will soon. We seem to have to keep on consume or share and give them to my neighbors and friends as a present and "the Green Aid".






Flowers of pak-chois look so cute and delicious! The part of flowers are still tender, but not bolted so I'll cook them tonight!











-- from iPad

4 comments:

Mark Willis said...

I have been eating my "oriental" veggies as baby leaf salad, and very good they are too! The Bekana is the best, but the Komatsuna "Torasan" is also very nice. The red Mustard "Osaka" has not been very vigorous. It has grown much more slowly than the others. Soon I will sow another batch of seeds to grow into mature plants. I'm looking forward to a few good stir-fry meals!

Bom said...

What wonderful produce you have. That's a lot of bok choy. I usually have mine steamed together with fish fillets, shitake mushrooms, sake, soy sauce and grated ginger. Even my kids enjoy it and we have this dish at least once a month.

takaeko said...

>Mark
I'm very happy to know you seem to enjoy oriental vegetables and it's very interesting that their names are Japanese! I wonder how they were named. I'm looking forward to seeing your recipes on your blog!

>Bom
Your recipe is so attractive that it lure me to try it!
Your recipe sounds like Japanese-style but not Chinese.

Bom said...

It is a simple taste, best with freshest ingredients which you already have in abundance. I can get the recipe from my wife if you want. Is your email on this site? I haven't really checked.